Any interest in a (quadcopter / drone) project?

Any interest in a (quadcopter / drone) project?

بواسطة - Levi Willmeth
عدد الردود: 0

Anyone interested in quadcopters?  I am.  

I think autonomous robots and especially flying robots will be really important in the next few decades.  I'd like to understand how these machines work and learn if I want a job in this field.  I'd like to build a quadcopter and learn how to automate flight using multiple types of sensors and a list of waypoints.

This would be an expensive project and require a lot of dedication to accomplish.  The club can afford money for parts, but we need enough motivated students to justify the cost.  I have a rough plan in mind:

Phase 1 (winter 2015):

• Buy several inexpensive training quadcopters to learn how to manually safely fly, while not risking a more expensive machine.
  • Gather students, build interest in the project, formulate concrete goals for the project.
  • Make a parts list and budget for phase 2.

Phase 2 (spring 2015):

• Buy parts and assemble a larger, more expensive quad capable of lifting more weight.
  • Learn to manually fly the larger quad safely, before integrating sensors and attempting to automate flight.

Phase 3 (spring/summer+ 2015):

• Buy sensors and parts for automated flight.
  • Probably start small, maybe flight assistance like an automated takeoff or landing sequence, or self-leveling.
  • Move on to harder problems like following waypoints via GPS, or following a line painted on the ground.

I'm totally open to other quad-related goals so if you have an idea you want to try, let us know.  These are just some ideas to get us started, so if you're interested in quadcopters or drones and want to learn more, please post here or contact me directly.