Tim Burton Movies aren’t Always Creepy

Tim Burton Movies aren’t Always Creepy

by Lilly Gehrke -
Number of replies: 1

The first time I visited my parents after moving to Oregon we watched Big Fish which I wasn’t entirely surprised to find out was directed by Tim Burton. Without being a fan of his wide variety of works though, some would be surprised after watching this tale that is in no way dark or twisted. It is a light hearted story of a father who enjoys severely over exaggerating pieces of his life and telling them as epic tales as entertainment. As the son is exploring the reality of his fathers past, he realizes that not all of these fantastical tales were made up. The story is incredibly heartwarming, which is a great contrast to the usual connotations attached to Burtons direction. Movies such as The Nightmare Before Christmas and Corpse Bride often outshine his softer, bubblier tales such as this and works such as Charlie and he Chocolate Factory. This story could not have been told better under any direction other than Burton because his unique directing style added a mystic to the crazy tales of the father, a harsh reality to the real-world problems the characters faced and brought these two aspects together beautifully. 

In reply to Lilly Gehrke

Re: Tim Burton Movies aren’t Always Creepy

by Kaitlyn Rosin -
I love Tim Burton movies, I don't find them very creepy. Everyone is different with how they view movies though. I'm sure I haven't seen every single one though and there could be some very creepy ones out there. I love nightmare before Christmas and the corpse bride, they are some of my favorite movies.