Rhetorical Analysis questions Template
What is the rhetorical situation?
- What is the historical occasion that would give rise to the composition of this text?
Who is the author/speaker?
- How does he or she establish ethos (personal credibility)?
- Does he/she come across as knowledgeable? fair?
- Does the speaker's reputation convey a certain authority?
What is his/her intention in speaking?
- To attack or defend?
- To praise or blame?
- To teach, explain, or to persuade?
Who make up the audience?
- Who is the intended audience?
- What values does the audience hold that the author or speaker appeals to?
What is the content of the message?
- Summarize the main idea.
- What are the principal lines of reasoning or kinds of arguments used?
- How does the author or speaker appeal to reason? to emotion?
What is the form in which it is conveyed?
- What is the structure of the communication; how is it arranged?
- What kind of style and tone is used and for what purpose?
Does the message/speech/text succeed in fulfilling the author's or speaker's intentions?
- For whom?
- Does the author/speaker effectively fit his/her message to the circumstances, times, and audience?
What does the nature of the communication reveal about the values of the writer who produced it?
- What kinds of values or customs would the people have that would produce this?
最終更新日時: 2017年 03月 26日(日曜日) 14:38